What Fitness Program Is Right For Me?
The fact that you have reached this page means you are interested in getting fit but not quite sure how?
Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. In today’s article, we’ll show you how to choose the right fitness program for you.
There is a lot of information available online, some of it good and some of it bad.
With any luck, this article should be able to help you choose which program is the right fit for you.
What Are Your Goals?
This is a really important question to ask yourself and will determine which road you choose to go down really.
Is the goal to feel great and look good naked, get healthy or simply be happy? The answer may be all three.
Whatever the reason is, you need to be crystal clear in your “why.” It’s only when you come to terms with this question can you move onto the next step.
To be honest, having a collection of reasons is ideal. If the goal is to simply lose weight, then this isn’t a strong enough reason and not specific enough.
The more specific the better. The deeper you go with your emotions the easier it will be for you to push through when you feel you are struggling. It also means you are dedicated to putting both the time and effort to make it work.
Part 1 - Identify and focus on that goal
- I want to lose 30 pounds
- I want to pack 20 pounds of muscle
- I want to be able to fit into that dress I haven’t worn in years.
Part 2 - Write down what you feel you would accomplish
- What is your “why” I won’t feel embarrassed when I start dating again
- My life would start to improve and I will feel better about myself
- Who am I doing this for? My wife, my husband or myself?
Part 3 - Be realistic - How often can you train?
- I can train 3 days a week for a couple of hours.
- I’m a single mum and can only train once a week at the weekend, probably a Saturday
- I’m a machine. I have no problem training every day for a few hours at a time.
Which Workout Is Best For Losing Weight?
Losing weight is not normally the MAIN issue. For most people, consuming a balanced diet and reducing your portions will help you lose weight. However, for most people, there’s more to it than that.
Did you know that what you eat is 90% linked to your success or failure?
This means that if losing weight is your primary goal, then looking after your nutrition and the amount you eat in one sitting will have a dramatic effect on your weight loss.
Nutrition is 90% of the equation if you are just looking to lose weight.
Finding A Workout Routine You Will Enjoy
If your main goal is to feel good about yourself and look good at the same time, then there is one simple solution for you.
Choose any of the exercises you enjoy the most.
If nutrition is 90% of losing weight, then exercise is the other 10%. So if your main goal is simply to look good, then any exercise is an added bonus.
Here are some perfect base level exercises:
So if hitting the gym hard is not your preference, then any of the above can work depending on your initial goals.
Please don’t suffer by doing exercises you completely hate. There are a ton of exercises you can do if you want to get your heart rate up.
So What’s The Best Routine?
Ok, so we have established that your diet is super important and that eating healthier will allow you to lose more weight.
But what do you do if you want to get more tone and build muscle mass exactly?
You need to add strength training as part of your exercise routines. This will apply for both male and females.
So Why Strength Training?
- When you doing some form of strength training you are forcing your body to burn more calories so it can rebuild muscle. This is far more effective at burning calories than doing cardio for the same amount of time.
- You are training your muscles to become stronger and more resilient. This not only helps with future training but in all aspects of your life, from playing with the kids to even walking up the stairs. Regular strength training will give you a positive impact on the rest of your life.
- If you partake in other sporting activities or other forms of training, strength building will help with this too. In fact, you should find that you enjoy these activities a lot more.
- Lastly, you will start to tone and build muscle which is what you want really.
Creating A Workout Plan
The secret to choosing the best workout is doing the one that you enjoy the most. Seriously.
It might sound simple and probably a little bit basic, but I guarantee you.
If you do the workouts you enjoy the most you are more likely to do this workout regularly, be able to push through when it gets hard and pick it back up if you stopped for any reason.
Unless you entering competitions or sticking to a workout regime for a specific reason, it’s very hard for “normal” people to keep a regular workout schedule.
As long as you are doing workouts that you enjoy and that meet your goals we discussed earlier, you’re good to go.
Also, train when you can, just be consistent. If you find it easier to train on a Tuesday night after work, then stick to that.
You might find it easier to get up early morning on a Monday and Friday before you go to work. Whichever day and time suits you, go for that.
I wish I could make this plan a bit more detailed and more complicated (that’s what you would expect from this type of article). However, it really is this simple.
Do what you want, when you can, that matches your goals and do it consistently!